Monday 26 January 2015

Measurement of Time..

As track athletes we always seem to be chasing that elusive number. How quick can we get there, and what can we do to get there? You ask yourself, what's it going to take? What do I need to do to be the best? For me it is quickly turning in to an obsession. Everything I do I ask myself, will this help me? Every week seems to be a progression, even if minor, there is still constant movement forward.

That battle that I can find difficult sometimes is:

How much is too much?

By that I am saying if I run for 30 minutes instead of 20 am I really helping myself, or am I furthering my chance of injury. On my off days I am discovering what is an appropriate workout for active recovery. I'd rather run, I want to get outside and feel the pounding of the track on my legs. I want to feel the struggle of trying to keep my form together. I treat every training session as a challenge. If that happens to be a speed day or a tempo day, I treat it the same, and there is no room for mistakes, or lack of effort. So as much as I want to be out there, I am learning that there is such a thing as too much, and I am working at setting limits for myself. This is especially important since I seem to be red-lining injuries these days. (Isn't every track athlete?!)


Since the last time I posted I ran a new training mile pb of 5:55... That would be a 26 second pb. I blitzed the other two girls and was close behind the two guys. Not bad for a 400m hurdler I'd say ;) . My fitness seems to be coming a long, and I'm happy to say that it will only improve as I am putting it up on the list of priorities right now.

Nom nom.

There is nothing quite as satisying as beating your training partners in practice, or setting new training pbs. Which I accomplished both during the mile. Many times I have mentioned that you can't be comparing your journey to other team mates, but I find this hard. I am always measuring my runs to my team mates. Perhaps this can be harnessed to providing good motivation to become better. I will tweak this.


Another fantastic workout was 6x200m off 2min rest. 31, 31, 30, 29, 29. Coming from a distance background, I have this great skill of being able to hold on, and cut down time pretty efficiently in reps.
/proud moment

While others are breaking down, you need to hold on and persevere.

Why are you here? Remember to answer this question every time you train, every time you are on the track. Every session is valuable, so work hard, and learn from it.

100mH Alternates Video


No comments:

Post a Comment