Tuesday 10 February 2015

Another coffee, another day.

I ask myself where I am today and it's hard to describe. Where do I exist on my timeline of training? I am taking a minimum of two weeks off the track right now. My left hip issue has been slightly over bearing. The constant hitting of the track wearing spikes during speed endurance has put phenomenal pressure on my right plantar fascia.

Night splint to keep calf and tendons stretched during the healing process at night.

As an elite level athlete, it's hard to describe to someone who runs that it was hard for you to come up with the decision to take time off. I've battled with these two minor injuries for the last three weeks. It's been a constant rotation of feeling better and producing amazing results, and not being able to walk the next day, and coming back at it two days later. The extreme detrimental part of this was that my mood was fluctuating constantly. A great work out would turn in to high levels of stress concerning the injuries and the pain they were creating for me. I would binge eat. The feeling of stress would be over whelming. I want to run well, but some of the days training would be cut short, and so I would turn to food that would make me feel better. Of course, this line of action was moving towards heavy carb and sugar laden food. So we all know what happened after these incidents... The crash and the weight gain.
Delectable chocolate goodies.

Being someone with blood sugar sensitivity issues, I don't just eat healthy for the reason of training. It keeps me sane, it keeps my moods elevated, that's what I need, and this binge eating wasn't keeping my mood levels stable.


People will say, why don't you just avoid it? You can run 400m hurdles, hurt yourself and keep running, yet you can't control these urges? WELL YES, they are right, how does one push their limits on a consistent basis yet they can't control an impulsive behavior of avoiding sugar laden food. I'll give it to you straight. Working five days a week, driving straight to practice, training, and coming home at 8pm every night. It's a regular routine. It can be so overwhelming, and sometimes the outlet is food to feel better. Food has been the easiest thing to turn to in these high cortisol moments. This needs to stop.Low - dye taping procedure for plantar fasciitis.

Rehab has started this week. I worked myself up to the fact that I was probably going to take time off, and Saturday's practice was the deciding factor. It was an easy CF big circuit tempo workout and I struggled to control the pain from the injuries when the workout was about 75% done. I knew it was time to do what I had been going over and over again in my head. Taking time off. I was ready for this. No negative feelings come attached with this time off. I know what I need to do. The main focus is body recomposition and rehabilitation. During this time I will also have a mental break from the stresses of track work, and come back with a bang, and super fresh mental motivation.
Bike sprints.

My advice to other athletes. No matter what people say to you, trust your own body, trust your injuries. If you aren't able to finish a workout without being in pain, you need to take time off. It's hard, but it's better now than later. If you continue on through these injuries, you will only hurt yourself more, and cause more mental pain than the physical pain by choosing to continue through.

Stick with your rehabilitation therapy and make sure you are aggressive with it daily. Don't forget to think outside of the box. Look for the less used methods, they might just work for you.

and ICE, ICE, ICE!

Love and strength,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment